Monday 8 September 2008

On The Beach Bloke


Me and bike on the beach at St Jacut-de-la-Mer, Brittany. Having borrowed the bike, I rode from Dinan, on a day made for cycling, early last summer. It was a fantastic ride and probably the furthest I'd been on a push-bike for years. My reward was this beach. The tide was out and me and my trusty steed are a long way from land in the pic. The tube sticking out of the bracket on the handlebars is a rolled up map, cleverly arranged so that I could navigate without stopping to unfold it every half hour. Very Mille Miglia, very DSJ. Not shown are the acres of mussel beds that lie here. Hundreds of them, tall and inky black, row upon row of growing mussels. Oh, for a primus and saucepan. I cycled back along empty roads, only stopping to get out of the way of enormous tractors that tore up the lanes from time to time, all of them driven by spotty lads. Who needs a Porsche when the farmer lets you out on his Steyr 9000mt? Thanks for the loan of the bike John.

5 comments:

Ron Combo said...

Nice bike.

Toby Savage said...

Which one's you?

Fred Fibonacci said...

Well spotted Toby. I've clearly had all my particles accelerated. Were you to view this photograph through the LHC I would be clearly visible, but in the seventh dimension.

Affer said...

That rolled up map....makes me think of the 'Ladies Bike'joke!!

Toby Savage said...

Go on Affa, tell it. Can't say I've heard it.