Friday 17 October 2008

Crane!




I had been in Italy for the weekend, visiting Ron Combo's Grappa Hell. Ron had had about as much as he could stand by 08.30 Monday morning and forced me on to a train back to Genoa, alone. With hours and hours to kill I wandered aimlessly through the city's picturesque streets etc etc. Spotted this impressive crane. The chappie on the ground is piloting the whole thing with a little gadget like a Sony PSP, whatever that is. Diplomat, should he be reading, will know all about this. I, as a non-crane driver, was humbled. So humbled I turned right and walked down the hill towards the dock. Here I was astonished to find every doorway full of exotic ladies of the night. Except it was 10.30 in the morning, on a Monday. Hats off to the work ethic girls, but I think I'll pass. Nice to know Dickensian London is alive and well and living in Genoa.

5 comments:

Affer said...

I watched one of these cranes being used on a site near me recently (alas, there were no Belles de Jour around to improve the amenities). I decided that its key advantage lay in the fact the when the load fell off (note: in the case of this site, 'when' and not 'if'), it allowed the operator to flee from the scene.....

Peter Ashley said...

If you go into St.James Garlickhythe (what a great name) on Upper Thames SAtreet in the City, you can read about the crane toppling over from Wates' Vintners Hall building site in 1991. The crane driver managed to jump out just before the jib took out the south wall of St.James, causing more damage than the German bomb that hit it. He broke just about every bone in his body, but survived to be guest of honour at the re-opening.

Ron Combo said...

Good prostitutes in Genoa and the bars aren't bad either. I forced you on the train at gunpoint in the general pursuit of your Ongoing Life Enhancement Programme.

Toby Savage said...

Nice to see those quilted waistcoats are still fashionable over there. (Chubby to the right of PSB man). here they are now only worn by women of a certain age who ride horses.

Vinogirl said...

I love wandering around cities with no apparent agenda...did it in Milwaukee once. It was interesting to an English person.