Tuesday 9 December 2008

Hello sky, hello jet.



A clear, cold Sunday; late afternoon in Chiswick. Although the sun had begun to set the sky was still dazzlingly blue, and this jet made its way to where I wonder? Moscow? Tokyo? I like the way the Moon appears to bend the plane to its will. All those people nodding off in front of a six-month old Vince Vaughan movie, a warm glass of champagne in a plastic cup and a cleverly packaged meal-like meal in front of them, and me 37,000 ft below, pruning a wisteria, not quite duty-free.

10 comments:

Thud said...

The memories of childhood thoughts of exotic locations are never far away whenever I see planes or vapour trails...not even dimmed by the likes of ryan air.The weather these past few days has been for the first time in several winters rather chilly and comforting has it not?

Toby Savage said...

Nice vapour....

Peter Ashley said...

I'm always in a quandary about vapour trails. Do I wait for them to disappear or do I retouch them out? I'd leave them, but I appear to be on this mission to make everything look 1890. Sometimes though you just have to leave them alone. Just as I was about to press the shutter on a signal box on Brayford Pool in Lincoln, the Red Arrows inscribed a perfect circle just above it.

Thud said...

1890...a tad modern for me but better than nothing I suppose.

Affer said...

Turkish Airlines maybe?

Vinogirl said...

Fred, keep your secateurs handy...I have a lot of grapevines that need pruning.

Jon Dudley said...

I wonder what Fotherington-Thomas would have made of it? "hello clouds, hello birds, hello flowers" but then, chiz, he was a gurlie.

Fred Fibonacci said...

Thanks Jon; glad you're paying attention.

Affer said...

Vinogirl: there was a good little film on TV recently. "Sideways", starring Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church. I was sure I saw you in it......

Vinogirl said...

No A F-A, wrong part of California.